Oct 30, 2008

Smack Down

Some of you know that I am a Youth Director, which means much of my time is spent with students in Jr. and Sr. High. It is a great job! I love my students, I love that they come over to my home, that we go places, that I get to go to their schools, and to their homes, I love that they come and chill in my office. The only time I have found it is hard to love my students is when they hit me in the face with a ball.

You see part of my job is playing wild crazy games in a gym...which usually involves any number of balls flying past. The problem is when they fail to pass and instead smack me in the face. The first time this happened was in the middle of a Dodgeball game, I failed to dodge, so presumably it is my fault. It hurt...and I had a mild black eye, but I laughed it off. The next time I don't even recall what was going down, but man it hurt. Then there was last night. Our Game Night was not even officially started yet (though there had been students in my office for hours) I was crossing the gym, after taking a picture, when all of the sudden I was met by the sharp sting of the third ball hitting my in the face thrown with such force that my neck and jaw both popped out of allignment leaving a swollen cheek.

It seems I have a magnetic face.

An instant headache insued and lasted into the morning. I am not sure that the morning headache was solely from the impact of the ball as I have been fighting off a cold or flu all week. Regardless as I met with my good friends and fellow youth workers for our morning prayers for our students and community, I began to see stars and my head was spinning. So I made an appointment to see my Chiropractor. She confirmed that my neck, jaw and infact bones in my head were misaligned and did her best to alliviate the pain and dizzyness. Upon her strong suggestion to go home, and rest I did just that.

Which brings me to THE POINT of this post...while getting Smacked upside the head repeatedly is not at all enjoiable, sometimes we just need to rest. As I have been laying here ALL day I realized that I have never spent the day in my place without having been sick. I have lived here two years and I have never spent the day in my apartment without being sick. Even today will not count. Because I am sore, and still feeling sick. It's kind of rediculous.

So even though I am feeling pretty crummy I am trying to enjoy this time of rest in my little bungalow. I watched some TV and I caught up on The Office. I even finally did some research on my Thyroid medication that I have been meaning to do. Which I know doesn't sound restful but it did bring me some comfort. Thankfully my Doctor is one of the good ones! More on that later I think. I also got to hear the thunder and the rain. So though it was painfull getting to this place of rest it is still nice to be home.

No comments:

quotes i love

  • "they will never care how much you know until they know how much you care."
  • "never be afraid to trust a well known God with an unknown future." - Corrie Ten Boom
  • "God doesn't need you, He loves you, that is much better."
  • "the world has yet to see what God can do through a man/woman who is totally commited to him." - D.L. Moody
  • "be who you is, cause if is ain't who you is, you is who you ain't."-
  • "some people say movies should be more like real life. I say real life should be more like the movies."