Jun 3, 2008
I can still recall watching my Nana sit in her chair with her Bible open on her lap, it was the only time I was not allowed to bug her. I have that Bible now, with it's hand made cross stitched cover . While it is not the Bible I use day to day I cherish it, because she did. I like looking at the verses she chose to highlight and underline in her colored pens.
Nana's quite time, used to frustrate me, I was used to being the center of my Nana's world. Now looking back I can see why she cherished it so much. I have developed a similar pattern in my own life. A time set aside for just me and God. I look forward to it, and I hate when it gets interrupted.
Our morning rituals may look different, but at the heart I believe they are the same. I am pretty sure that what I always thought was just my Nana reading the Bible and me having to be quiet was really so much more than that. For me these times have become a time of deep conversations, challenging thoughts, and new insights. It is a developing love affair with my God.
I have a hard time imagining that these times were any less special for my Nana. I am so thankful for her living example of what faithfulness looked like. It is from people like her along with the Dunhams (who shared their home with me for a few months) who woke up early each morning to spend time together in prayer, the Wednesday morning Spring Lakes prayer group who pray daily for those they love and countless others who have showed me time and time again what depth I can have in my relationship with the living God. I love these people, who all have their own rituals and have taught me the value of time spent in prayer.
quotes i love
- "they will never care how much you know until they know how much you care."
- "never be afraid to trust a well known God with an unknown future." - Corrie Ten Boom
- "God doesn't need you, He loves you, that is much better."
- "the world has yet to see what God can do through a man/woman who is totally commited to him." - D.L. Moody
- "be who you is, cause if is ain't who you is, you is who you ain't."-
- "some people say movies should be more like real life. I say real life should be more like the movies."