Aug 3, 2008

Tasty


So its the first Sunday of the month which in my church signals that it is time to take the Lords Supper as a way to remember His death on the cross for our sins. This morning as I was holding my little plastic cup filled with juice with the bread of life between my fingers I heard my 8 year old brother goofing off, "umm yummy, Jesus' blood tastes good." At first I thought to turn and give him one of those you better knock it off looks that I am so practiced at, but then I thought about what he had said. And as I lifted the cup to my mouth to partake I too noticed the sweetness as it passed my lips.

Why? I wondered was I so quick to silence my little brothers yammering, when it held such truth. Maybe, he should learn to hold his tongue, but maybe he was coming as he is to the Lord's table to partake in the blood and body of Christ in his own childlike way. And why shouldn't the blood of Jesus seem sweet? Do we not sing, "O the Sweet, Sweet Blood of Jesus"?

The peace and hope, the live and the promise of new life that this blood spilled out brings is in fact the sweetest of things. Even the Psalms say,
"taste and see that the Lord is good."

1 comment:

Randal Kay said...

Once again,

A little child shall lead them. Yet, there are times he does deserve the "look." With that I would agree.

May the Lord always taste good to you...and to him.

quotes i love

  • "they will never care how much you know until they know how much you care."
  • "never be afraid to trust a well known God with an unknown future." - Corrie Ten Boom
  • "God doesn't need you, He loves you, that is much better."
  • "the world has yet to see what God can do through a man/woman who is totally commited to him." - D.L. Moody
  • "be who you is, cause if is ain't who you is, you is who you ain't."-
  • "some people say movies should be more like real life. I say real life should be more like the movies."