Mar 30, 2008

Foodie in Me - Revisited

"Other creatures receive food simply as fodder. But we take the raw materials of the earth and work with them—touch them, manipulate them, taste them, glory in their heady smells and colors, and then, through a bit of alchemy, transform them into delicious creations. Cooking demands attention, patience, and, above all, respect. It is a way of worship, a way of giving thanks." -Judith Jones

Had I read this quote even three years ago it would have meant nothing to me. I would have perhaps appreciated the writing but I would not have grasped the sentiment. Why? Because I did not like cooking.


Thankfully something in me changed, somehow I have developed not only a tolerance for spending time in the kitchen but a passion for creating good food. Out of this newly discovered love of food I can read this and identify with every word. I have in fact thought of cooking as not only a way of giving thanks but also as a way of showing thanks. I do not worship the food, but the one who created it, the one who created me, and who has allowed me to enjoy the various flavors of life.

What if, we spent an entire Sunday morning worshiping God together, in a kitchen instead of a sanctuary; then gathered together around the abundant feast that He has provided? What if we moved from giving thanks for the meal to actually thankfully enjoying the meal and showing our thankfulness by the fullness of our contentment with what we have been given?

The quote above is from an article in the Jan/Feb 2008 edition of Books&Culture. The article is entitled "A Way of Giving Thanks", written by, LaVonne Neff. It is a great little piece on the book "The Tenth Muse My Life In Food", by Judith Jones. A book I plan on picking up in my next trip downtown. If for no other reason then a little more food for thought.

No comments:

quotes i love

  • "they will never care how much you know until they know how much you care."
  • "never be afraid to trust a well known God with an unknown future." - Corrie Ten Boom
  • "God doesn't need you, He loves you, that is much better."
  • "the world has yet to see what God can do through a man/woman who is totally commited to him." - D.L. Moody
  • "be who you is, cause if is ain't who you is, you is who you ain't."-
  • "some people say movies should be more like real life. I say real life should be more like the movies."