Sep 26, 2007

Posture of Prayer

Today my dad and I worked together to create a new "sacred space" with in the sanctuary at our church. It is a place devoted to prayer. I will tell you about it more in a minute, but as we were looking for the right seating for this space we came across an old chair. I plopped myself down on the chair I placed my elbows on my knees and folded my hands to test it out. My dad laughed saying I looked like I was going to take a dump. So apparently my prayer life looks a lot like his private life.
But then I thought about it as we set up the space and realized a few things. We created the space up front on the stage with a purpose, not to make people uncomfortable, but to move us from only praying in private, and to remind us the importance of prayer in our everyday life. Sure at first getting up after the service to pray on stage will feel awkward for some, perhaps just as uncomfortable as would be for you to go to the bathroom on stage. But I expect that soon it will become much more comfortable, way more comfortable than it would ever be to use a restroom on the stage. Yet they are both things that we need to be doing daily.

I don't think that we necessarily need sacred spaces in which we worship God, but I do find that for me they make prayer and worship that much more real. Our hope in creating this space at church is that not only will people be reminded to pray, but that as they take advantage of this space others will see them and join them in their prayers. Being the comforting body of Christ in the flesh. A shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen, and a mouth to join in praise.
Apparently Christy likes to pray like my dad :)

1 comment:

Melinda said...

i think its ok to pray if:

you look like your going to poop.
you just pooped
While you poop.

Keep praying ha!

quotes i love

  • "they will never care how much you know until they know how much you care."
  • "never be afraid to trust a well known God with an unknown future." - Corrie Ten Boom
  • "God doesn't need you, He loves you, that is much better."
  • "the world has yet to see what God can do through a man/woman who is totally commited to him." - D.L. Moody
  • "be who you is, cause if is ain't who you is, you is who you ain't."-
  • "some people say movies should be more like real life. I say real life should be more like the movies."